Thursday, January 24, 2013

More Bangs for the Buck!

uglyduckling at www.last.fm
My friend Alice in New Jersey directed me to Jon Stewart’s hilarious take on the inauguration, which was, yep, insightful.  My friend Suz in DC had bemoaned the meaningless “pomp and circumstances,” too, as  I blithely went on about the symbolism of the day.

I've taken it awfully seriously and with earnest intensity, from the symbolism of  inaugurating our first African-American president a second time on MLK day, to the president’s “coming out as a Liberal” (as Steward delicately put it with his usual double entendres),  to the wonderful epic poem by Richard Blanco.

Still, there’s something to be said about the fact that Michelle Obama’s new hairstyle took center stage.  Even the president admitted as much.

That led me to a new way of looking at the media coverage of the inauguration: I call it "More bangs for the buck."

The idiom came to mind as I directed my thinking away from the serious import of the day to the emphasis on Michelle’s bangs, her coat and outfit, her inaugural gown, her fashion statements, her eye roll at the luncheon at the Capitol, and other  media highlights, which are now called “photobombs” and “memes.”

In hindsight, I have a few to add myself: like Jennifer Hudson’s song at the Commander-in-Chief ball (she looked awfully skinny by the way), when she didn’t know what to do after she sang it and no one cared.  I'd also hype the image of Joe Biden running around and across Pennsylvania Avenue like a flaming presidential candidate.  Good lord. The thought entered my mind, and it won't go away.  He's running for president!  And Obama's 2nd term is just beginning. And Hillary's in the wings.  

I guess I need to catch up with the cultural tempo of the times.  And “more bangs for the buck” seems a good idiom for the day right now.  The media sure did get lots of money and excitement and value out of those bangs.    

Maybe Americans have had enough of partisan politics and would rather focus on less serious issues, let’s put it that way.  I’d go with the bangs, myself, rather than more of the “fiscal cliff” politics that preceded the inauguration and will follow it.  And that continue in the form of Republicans in Congress haranguing and harassing Hillary Clinton and politicizing yet again the tragedy of Benghazi. 

There's more to America than "One today....One Sky."   


2 comments:

Alice said...

Franny- Thanks for the shout-out on your blog. You know, I love your writing and your engagement with everything going on these days and your trenchant observations about life in America after Ukraine. What I have to say about Hillary is that you write something about her becoming an invaluable and essential part of the American story these last 4 years, as well as her determination to stand up to such piss-ants in the Congress as Ron Johnson and John McCain. I am glad that she shouted them out and was emotional--at long last--regarding the endurance record she has had in the last 4 years. So, we've had some fun with bangs, but we've overlooked what a good name for an American industry Michelle Obama has done by her focusing on American design and the floundering American clothing industry. Let Michelle be beautiful and fashionable and healthy. Let her demonstrate both love and concern for America's obesity. Let her show her love for her husband on a grand stage. All of this is good for our psychically challenged times!

Life After All Blog said...

Alice, I hear you about Michelle Obama's role, and I couldn't agree more, about her enormous contributions. Fabulous and brilliant. Saavy.
She'd make a great president some day. As for Hillary, she's my #1 idol of the day. I like your suggestions. You're a soulmate, Alice! like my brother Loren....

Don't get out the popcorn yet: The Wheels of Justice Grind Slowly

"Delay, Delay, Delay: From pre-trial motions to negotiations over security, the master of legal stalling has many tactics in his arsena...