Saturday, December 3, 2011

My Christmas Tree: Decorated with Memories


I bought and decorated a Christmas tree for the first time in many years.  Didn’t have one in Florida usually, unless it was a palm tree, and not in Ukraine either. Holiday decorations but no pine trees. Elissa helped me get the sweet tree up and straight in the stand, a challenge I had forgotten. More blasts from the past. 

I can’t do much of anything nowadays without jogging memories.  A senior’s prerogative.  I understand more than ever how my grandparents felt and thought.  The minds of the aging.  The ignorance and naivte of the young. Wish I knew then what I know now.   

My "now" tree is sitting nicely on the window seat in my living room window, facing Main Street, Sylvania, which is aglow with lights.  My tree is also covered in lights, blue lights, as well as a  few favorite ornaments from Christmases past. I put up white lights around the bay window and unpacked some other decorations.  ”It looks warm and cozy in here, mom, beautiful, like home,” Michelle said with a smile.  She liked my Christmas wreath, too.  I don’t know if she remembers it, but it’s the old pine cone wreath I bought at a Unitarian Church bazaar many years ago, when we were living on Robinwood Avenue. I changed its decorations every year.   This year it's traditional.  Next year I'm going mod!

This is how it was when Elissa and Michelle were growing up, and when my sister, brother and I were growing up.  Putting up the tree, getting out the ornaments, filling the house with lights, music, and joy. My dad's Christmas music. Frank Sinatra and Bing Crosby and church choirs.  Christmas traditions passed down from generation to generation.  My Christmas tree is decorated with memories.   

No comments:

Don't get out the popcorn yet: The Wheels of Justice Grind Slowly

"Delay, Delay, Delay: From pre-trial motions to negotiations over security, the master of legal stalling has many tactics in his arsena...