Friday, August 17, 2018

Lessons Learned through Travel

Me and Elissa at a wonderful pub in Dublin, Ireland.
Good food, drink, and  Irish dancing.
Travel gives us new ways of seeing the world, its countries and cities, its architecture and natural wonders, its cultures and people.  I love to travel, and I love it when I can share different parts of the world and the great USA with my children and grandchildren. I'm always looking up places to visit.

So it happened that I was online looking for some travel sites when I found a great video called "Seven Life Lessons Learned Only Through Travel."   It's by video maker Sarah Snow and features world traveler Jay Shetty (the link's below).  Take a look.   It's a good reminder of the  pleasures and treasures  and lessons of  travel.

With granddaughter Alli in AMS.
What are the seven lessons that Jay Shetty highlights?
1. Travel makes you a better learner. I'd say it's one of the best ways to learn!
2. Travel makes you smarter, more open, more focused, more receptive. That's because it sharpens all your senses.
3. Travel increases your faith in humanity.  That's a big one, seeing the good that exists in the world, learning all people are essentially the same. It's about building bridges, not walls. It's about what we share, our common humanity, not our differences.
4. Travel makes you more creative. It's about getting into another culture, seeing things through new eyes, acquiring "cognitive flexibility." And what's more powerful than seeing the beauty of nature around the planet, Mother Earth in all its splendor!
Grandson Josh and me in San miguel de
Allende, MX
5.  Travel gives you a wider perspective on the world and human nature. When I get upset about what's going on here, I say this to myself.  Look at the broader history, the broader perspective, the long view.
6.  Travel makes you happier, something for which all travelers can vouch. Daily new experiences lift you up, take you to unexpected places.
7.  Travel makes you more patient and more tolerant. You take your time to learn, listen, watch, absorb. There's nothing like being in what I call "travel mode," taking life as it comes.

It's a great list. I'll test it again on my next trip, coming up soon, a trip with friend Linda Furney to the English countryside around Rochester, Kent, Dickens country, and then of course to London. More on that anon.





https://www.facebook.com/JayShettyIW/videos/2097500223897765/

No comments:

Don't get out the popcorn yet: The Wheels of Justice Grind Slowly

"Delay, Delay, Delay: From pre-trial motions to negotiations over security, the master of legal stalling has many tactics in his arsena...