Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Colors and Memory


My chrysanthemums and marigolds, beautiful shades of burgundy, garnet, and gold, are evoking some fun memoires.      
Those are the colors of the Washington Redskins football team and also the Florida State University (FSU) football team. 

Looking at my garden, I had a flashback to a time I lived in Washington and my sister came from Tallahassee, Florida, for a visit. 
It was a beautiful fall day, like today, and we were taking the Metro to the National Mall from Dupont Circle, where I lived.  The stations and trains were packed with people.  And lots of them were dressed in burgundy and gold.
“Wow, this is great, sis,” Andy said to me, a big smile on her face.  “I can’t believe there are so many FSU fans in Washington, DC!”  
I looked at her, thought a second.  “Yeah, Andy, they came out for you.   Wanted to make sure you felt welcomed  in this great capital city noted for its “Northern charm and southern efficiency, ” as JFK put it.
“Go Noles!” she just about shouted over the din of the busy train. A few folks looked her way and grinned. The Logos were even similar, and controversial in both cases even then.
“Know where this train’s headed?” I asked her. “Here’s a hint: it’s on the way to Redskins stadium.”
She looked at me, shook her head, then howled.  A Washington Redskins football game!  We laughed ‘til we cried.

“And here I thought everyone had come out in garnet and gold just for me!” 
“Sure, right sis, colors will do that to you!”  We laughed off and on at the thought for the rest of the day. Sometimes we still do, especially when the mums and marigolds show their colors, and speak to us. 

 

No comments:

Don't get out the popcorn yet: The Wheels of Justice Grind Slowly

"Delay, Delay, Delay: From pre-trial motions to negotiations over security, the master of legal stalling has many tactics in his arsena...