Monday, January 3, 2022

Another Florida Road Trip To Begin a New Year


We happened upon Mary L. Proctor's roadside Folk Art Garden, on Route 319, Crawfordsville Highway going South, and gloried in her art with her husband Tyrone.  


I had a fabulous Trish Collins moment today. She's the Tallahassee native who happened upon Missionary Mary L. Proctor's doors, bought them for $5,000, took them down to her SOHO New York gallery, bought lots more, and had a huge exhibition at which Mary witnessed her art go out the door at $7,000 a pop. (https://francurrocaryblog.blogspot.com/2021/12/mary-l-proctor-folk-artist-tallahassees.html)  A folk artist was born.

Andy and I  were on another Florida road trip, going through Wakulla
County to catch a sight of Ochlockonee Bay and put our feet in Gulf waters. The weather turned cloudy, then sunny, then cloudy; rain was coming, but we took our chances. We're glad we did. 

Suddenly, out of the corner of my eye, I spotted Mary Proctor's doors and paintings on the side of the road. No doubt about it. "Sis, those are Missionary Mary's paintings!" Andy sped past but I made her turn around. "Really, sis?" "Yes, positive." Sometimes writing blogs can be helpful.

And that's how we got to spend a glorious time talking with Tyrone Proctor, Mary's husband, at the roadside "Folk Art Garden." A big board with Mary's face on it welcomed us. How absolutely uplifting to go through some very fine genuine Missionary Mary art. We walked around the crowded space that looked more like a junk yard than an art garden.  It was filled with treasures. We admired this piece and that, taking photos, wishing we could buy four or five pieces. Alas, the $5,000  art was out of our price range, and the $750-$1,000 ones, too. Tyrone understood; he was kind, helpful. He said he could bring out some lower-priced ones, and he did.  


My Missionary Mary

I am now a proud owner of a  Mary L. Proctor. Not the big ones, a little one, authentic, wonderful. It's about music, and I love the message: "Music heals the body mind and soul." Pure Missionary Mary.

Happy as a lark, filled to the brim with girlish glee, Andy and I continued on our journey to Panacea and the Gulf.  First stop, Oaklockonee Bay. 

Andy knew the way. Before the Panacea bridge she took a left onto a dirt road and got us there. We stepped out and felt the Gulf air. We got some selfies in front of the Bay. The two of us together. We stood still. Enjoyed the view. Peaceful. Calm. A lovely way to begin a New Year. 


Ochlockonee Bay, so pretty and calm.



We then drove over the bridge, so familiar from the days Andy went to St. Theresa. Andy was nostalgic, wistful. I could see her mulling things over. We made it to a little corner of the Gulf. "You okay, sis?"  "I'm okay, just remembering." We walked to a small sandy beach, enjoyed the view,  the smell of the water, the sight of folks fishing off a small dock.  It was enough for us.
 We had a special moment. 

We reminisced over the sands of time, the highs and lows, the changes.  Lots of changes. Andy got a photo of me with my Mary Proctor. A gift from the God who speaks to Mary. But I knew in my heart that the best gift in my life is not a piece of art, not something you buy.  It's my sister Andy. Thoughtful, compassionate, beautiful inside and out, and a great cook. I count my blessings. It's these times together with my beloved sis that matter the most. 

A garden of art.


"I refuse to let hate in my garden."
        The Tallahassee Capital building                    
Pure Missionary Mary

Not sure if this is a Mary L. Proctor but it's her message:
 you can make art out of anything.



No comments:

Don't get out the popcorn yet: The Wheels of Justice Grind Slowly

"Delay, Delay, Delay: From pre-trial motions to negotiations over security, the master of legal stalling has many tactics in his arsena...