Monday, December 2, 2013

Getting into the Holiday Spirit

The Sylvania Area Historical Society's home in holiday finery and lights along Main Street.
Below, my place on Main, December 2013.

Sylvania is sparkling in holiday lights, up and down Main Street and in the historic neighborhood around the downtown area. I joined in the festivities and decorated the front porch of the old house I live in on Main, a few doors from the Historical Museum, and the back porch entrance to my apartment.  

It is one of the loveliest times of the year. I put on the old Christmas music, classics like Bing Crosby, Nat King Cole and Frank Sinatra, and remember the songs my Dad loved that filled our house as my mom fussed with the tree. It's a time for so many childhood memories and family traditions, which I now share with my kids and grandkids.

I'm not a big fan of huge malls and super-stores, but I enjoy the decorations and the wonders of the season.  Mostly, I try to "shop local."  Harmony in Life has jewelry, soaps, chimes, and other heavenly items, and so does Angela's Angels on the corner of Main and Erie.  The clothing shops have wonderful shirts, sweaters,  scarfs and colorful socks. ACE hardware has all the practical things you need, plus decorations and friendly service. And there are other small shops, like the Limelight, next to Sylvania Historical Village, that are great for gifts and stocking stuffers, as well as florists, beauty salons, and restaurants.   

And while you're on Main Street, why not tour the Historical Village and the Heritage Museum, now filled with beautifully decorated trees, some in historical themes.  These are treats the whole family will enjoy!

A walk down and around Main Street will get you in the holiday spirit. As soon as Santa gets into town, on Saturday December 7 around 4:30 pm, he'll light the Holiday tree. Downtown Sylvania looks like a fairyland, ready to welcome you.  


No comments:

Don't get out the popcorn yet: The Wheels of Justice Grind Slowly

"Delay, Delay, Delay: From pre-trial motions to negotiations over security, the master of legal stalling has many tactics in his arsena...