Saturday, July 6, 2013

Walking along Main Street

Sylvania Historic Village, Chandler's, Reve's, painted bench,
pink hydrangea against a shop on Main Street. 
I walked from my place, which is next door to Harmony in Life, down Main Street to Reve's Salon for a haircut on a lazy Saturday afternoon. I bump into an old Toledo friend with her daughter, visiting from New York. We used to live on Robinwood in the Old West End.  Memories explode.  Such a small world! It's one of the things that this mostly urban senior loves about being in a small town. I'm on Main Street USA.

It's an overcast day.  Most shops are closed for the long July 4th weekend. It's quiet. Still, I love walking
along Main Street any time of the year, in any weather, looking at the shops, Sylvania Historic Village, the Historical Museum, restaurants and boutiques. I notice a new woman's store, Lily Whitestone, has just opened next to Hudson's Art and Frames, and I make a note to go back soon.  I like to shop local when I can, and feel bad when favorite places, like Dragonfly Tea Cottage and the Pink Door, close.  It's hard to keep these small businesses going, not only on our Main Street but on Main Street America in general.  I make a silent wish that new businesses make it.  I'm happy when a new venture, like the Tuesday Market, opens on Main, bringing us fresh produce from local farms..

On this gray Saturday, Chandler's Cafe is open.  I call my daughter to see if she can meet me there for lunch after my hair cut. It's right across the street from Reve's.  "Sure, we're on!"  I have the delicious Reuben sandwich and Elissa, who is gluton-free and dairy-free, has plain chicken salad on plain greens. I find her diet a challenge, but she's got the hang of it, and likes it.  "I've never felt better in my life," she tells me, and I'm almost 40 pounds lighter."  I think there's a lesson for me there! We catch up on work, world events and family matters.  The rain starts to fall.  Time to go home.

Main Street looks as pretty as ever through a soft mist. It makes me think of  Jane Austin, the moors of Nantucket, the beacons of light from lighthouses on oceans and lakes everywhere. Rain or shine, it's nice to be here. It's Main Street USA.  

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Fran,

Lovely post. Showed it to Michele just now and she said she wishes we would have gone to Chandler's after her pedicure to say hi. We didn't - she was in slippery salon flip flops.

I agree; Sylvania's main street is a nice walk! Karen

Don't get out the popcorn yet: The Wheels of Justice Grind Slowly

"Delay, Delay, Delay: From pre-trial motions to negotiations over security, the master of legal stalling has many tactics in his arsena...